These cookies lean on the healthier side, but lets face it, they’re still cookies. That being said they make a great treat, or quick breakfast on the go. Great on their own or with a cup of tea/coffee and so quick to make. Literally a few ingredients thrown into a bowl and straight into the oven, couldn’t be easier!
I hope you give it a go and try it out!
Ginger & Almond Oatmeal Cookies
Makes 6-8 cookies
1 cup of rolled oats
1 large over ripe banana
1 tbsp peanut butter (or prefered nut butter)
1/2 inch piece of raw root ginger
Handful of raw almonds
1/2 tsp Lemon zest
1/4 tsp Cinnamon
Pinch of Golden sugar (sprinkling on top)
1. Start by mashing the banana in a large bowl. Personally I like to mash them till they are completely smooth, however feel free to leave chunky for added texture.
Tip: The more ripe the banana the sweeter these cookies will be.
2. Stir in the peanut butter. Once combined whisk with the fork until light in colour and smooth.
3. Add the cinnamon, and grated root ginger.
4. Add the oats.
5. Take a handful of raw almonds and chop roughly. Add these along with the lemon zest to the mix and stir to combine.
Tip: These add a great taste and texture to the cookies. Why not add some dried berries or fruit to the mix?
6. Lightly grease a baking dish (I used vegan butter but you can use any oil of your choice).
Scoop small rounds of the dough and flatten with a fork to create the cookies.
Optionally you can sprinkle some brown sugar on top for extra crunch and sweetness.
7. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden and a little dark and crisp around the edges.
8. Once baked remove from the oven and allow to cool on a wire rack.
These cookies have an awesome texture, crisp on the outside and chewy on the inside almost like a flapjack! They don’t keep for too long however whenever I’ve made these there are never any left for the day after!
Serve with your choice of milk or hot beverage.
If you like this recipe, please be sure to share it and I hope you can try it out!